Homemade unsweetened cinnamon applesauce is quick and easy to make, has just three ingredients, and no added sugar.
Guess what?! I have another apple recipe for you today* and this time it’s one I know your kids will love. In fact, my kids made this recipe with me, which was more than half the fun.
*Did you see these other apples we made post apple picking? Check out my Spiced Quinoa with Roasted Apples and Root Vegetables and Apple Peanut Butter Pancakes with Sautéed Cinnamon Apples.
Kids Love Applesauce
I don’t know about you, but my kids loooove applesauce. It’s one of the first table foods they ate and almost four years later they still ask for it multiple times a week. I always keep a jar of unsweetened applesauce in my pantry, but in the fall I try to make my fresh homemade version whenever possible (especially after apple picking)!
Don’t have kids? Don’t click over to another page just yet. This recipe is for everyone of any age. It makes a great accompaniment to grilled chicken, it’s a lower sugar flavor boost when stirred into plain yogurt, and with Hanukkah coming up, it’s the perfect side for those potato latkes everyone’s going to be making!
And you know what else? This homemade unsweetened cinnamon applesauce recipe is really quick and easy to make, made with three simple ingredients (two if you don’t count the water!), has no-added sugar, and makes your house smell amazing!
So let’s get to it!
- 3 to 4 pounds apples
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Cut washed apples in half to remove core. Then cut into big chunks and add to a large soup pot.
- Add water and cinnamon to pot and stir to mix.
- Over high heat, bring apples and water to boil. Reduce to medium heat and boil for about 10 to 15 minutes, until apples are very tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Carefully pour apple mixture into food processor and pulse until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender directly in the pot to puree. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 0g