A couple of weeks ago, my husband asked me if I would make Italian dressing chicken — a dish his mother used to make for him. Basically it consists of coating chicken breasts in Italian dressing and breadcrumbs. I’m not a big fan of Italian dressing, but I wanted to make my husband happy (who doesn’t?!), so I decided to remake his childhood favorite with a slightly healthier twist.
Panko “Fried” Chicken
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup lite honey mustard salad dressing (I used Annie’s Naturals)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to bake at 350 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In one shallow dish, combine the honey mustard dressing and minced garlic. Place panko breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
- Coat each chicken breast with the garlic dressing followed by the breadcrumbs. Place coated chicken breasts on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information (per chicken breast): 254 calories, 30 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 73 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium
[Compare the above with the nutrition facts for KFC’s original fried chicken breast: 320 calories, 42 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 15 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 110 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium.]
I served the panko “fried” chicken with my tomato jam and a side of roasted tomatoes and asparagus. Andy was very happy with the result, although he did miss the zing of the Italian dressing. Next time I think I’ll add some herbs and spices to the panko to add in that flavor.