Enjoy the nutrition and health benefits of lean beef with these juicy soy-marinated steak tacos topped with a colorful and nutritious nectarine corn salsa brimming with the flavors of summer.
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by The Beef Checkoff and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
If you follow my weekly menu plans you’ll see we have beef for dinner at least once every week or two. A beef-eating registered dietitian nutritionist may seem contrary to everything you have thought about nutrition, but that’s where you’d be wrong. And that’s why I share my menu plans, my recipes, and the science of nutrition – to show and inspire everyday people who are working hard to make healthy choices that all foods can fit into a balanced, nutritious diet. And let’s not forget the delicious part too.
This month The Recipe ReDux teamed up with the Beef Checkoff for a sponsored recipe contest to highlight all the nutritious and delicious ways lean beef can be part of a healthy diet and to share some of the latest research about the benefits of beef. Just a few months ago in honor of National Heart Health Month I shared my recipe for Hearty Beef & Vegetable Stew and included some of this research. You can head on over to that post to refresh your memory, and here are some additional tidbits for you:
- A 3-ounce serving of lean beef provides 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients, including iron, vitamin B12, and zinc.
- Research shows that consumption of high-quality protein (like beef) within calorie goals supports a healthy metabolism and assists with weight loss and maintenance of a healthy weight.
- Benefits of eating protein include feeling satisfied after a protein-packed meal (which helps reduce mindless eating), building muscle and reducing body fat.
- Emerging research indicates that evenly distributing daily protein intake at meals and snacks throughout the day (~20 to 30g/eating occasion) may potentially contribute to benefits for body weight management and appetite control.
You can see there are many great reasons to enjoy lean beef, and today I have another one: these juicy steak tacos made with flank steak (also sold as london broil) and topped with a nectarine corn salsa that is bursting with flavor, color, and all the goodness of summer!
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, or Tamari to make it gluten free
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound flank steak
Nectarine Corn Salsa:
- 3 nectarines, diced (~1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup par-boiled corn, fresh off the cob or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 soft corn tortillas, 6-inch diameter
- In a measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients (soy sauce through garlic). Place steak in a resealable plastic bag and pour marinade over it. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat grill to about 500 degrees. Remove steak from bag and grill for about 6 minutes on each side for medium rare. Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing. (If you want additional sauce for the steak, pour marinade in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and set aside.)
- In a medium bowl, toss all salsa ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes so flavors meld.
- To serve tacos, lay about 3 slices of steak in the middle of a corn tortilla. Spoon salsa over steak, fold over and enjoy!
I served these steak tacos with my Red Cabbage, Snap Pea, & Blueberry Salad. What a meal it was!
Looking for more lean beef recipes? Check out the other contest entries below from fellow ReDuxers!
What’s your favorite cut of beef?
Do you have a go-to beef recipe?
[inlinkz_linkup id=540381 mode=1]