Stay healthy all winter long with this sweet and tart antioxidant-rich Cranberry Orange Bread.
I was compensated for writing the original article and developing the recipe found in the December 2015 issue of Today’s Dietitian. I was not compensated for sharing the column or magazine with readers on my blog. All opinions are my own.
In my opinion, cranberries and oranges go together like peanut butter and jelly or grilled cheese and tomato soup. I’ve previously shared the flavor combo in my Orange-Ginger Cranberry Sauce and Iced Orange-Cranberry Biscotti and now I’ve put these two nutrient-rich winter fruits together once again in my Cranberry Orange Bread.
This post is long overdue – you may recall back in December I mentioned this recipe was coming before the New Year arrived. But as usual time got away with me (I’m working on that for 2016!) and I didn’t get a chance to share this recipe with you in time for your holiday parties, Christmas morning breakfast, or your DIY holiday gifts. But at long last, here is my recipe for this delicious whole-grain, dairy-free, and nut-free Cranberry Orange Bread.
This Cranberry Orange Bread was originally featured in my December 2015 Culinary Corner column in Today’s Dietitian Magazine, where you will also find my article all about the health benefits of cranberries and some different ways to use them in the kitchen.
Although the holidays are over, oranges and cranberries are still at their peak, so I hope you give this bread a try for your next weekend brunch or when you’re holed up in the house on a snowy day! Be sure to save the recipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas next year too! And if you’re looking for another nutritious and delicious winter sweet quick bread, try my Chocolate Pear Loaf made with Greek yogurt!
Cranberry Orange Bread
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups 250 g white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries halved
- Preheat oven to bake at 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, orange juice, and orange zest.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the cranberries and let batter stand about 10 minutes.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake 55 min to 1 hour. Loosely cover the loaf pan with foil about halfway through baking to ensure the top does not get too well done.
What’s your favorite winter flavor combo?
Share with me in the comments below!