Corn and Black Bean Quinoa is a light, summery gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan-friendly salad that’s great as a side dish or for lunch on it’s own. Try it with fresh corn before summer ends or enjoy all year round with frozen corn!
I’ve had this recipe sitting on my desk since I made it for our first barbecue of the summer – boy how time flies! With the end of summer nearing, it’s now or never to share this easy side dish with you so you can enjoy it at one of your last summer gatherings.
Filled with healthy complex carbohydrates (from the quinoa, corn, and black beans), plus protein (from the black beans and quinoa), and vegetables, you can even enjoy this salad as a meal on it’s own. Add some cheese like Mexican cotija, queso fresco, or feta and you’re set!
However you choose to serve it, I hope you enjoy!
Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grilled corn kernels, or use frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place quinoa in sauce pan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes until all the water is soaked up. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once quinoa is cool (see note below), add peppers, beans, corn, red onion, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss together.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the quinoa salad and toss to combine. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve room temperature.
To prevent the quinoa from getting mushy, I like to cool it before mixing the remaining ingredients. If you have time, refrigerate it for about 30 minutes and then fluff with a fork before mixing the salad.