Brighten up your weekend with this pretty in pink Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosa, a seasonal spring twist on the classic brunch cocktail!
April showers usually bring May flowers, but for this month’s Recipe ReDux, May is bringing more showers – of the celebratory kind. Baby showers and bridal showers are blooming this time of year, as are graduation parties, retirement parties, weddings, Mother’s Day, and other occasions that are often celebrated with brunch.
This month’s theme was Shower Brunch Season, for which we were asked to share our favorite healthy brunch dishes for the upcoming ‘shower season.’ There was a little reminder from fellow ReDux member and dietitian Jenna Braddock from Make Healthy Easy not to forget the shower cocktails/mocktails with fresh ingredients. So with that, I decided I was going to go the cocktail route rather than traditional brunch food.
The mimosa is a very popular brunch cocktail traditionally composed of freshly squeezed orange juice and champagne, but I’m more of a fan of Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) and there are more interesting fruit in season in spring than oranges. That’s how I decided to make this Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosa.
Ingredients & Preparation
Rhubarb is technically a vegetable, but because it is very tart and sour, it is most often combined with other fruits (most notably strawberries) and sweetened to be used in desserts. In fact, one of rhubarb’s nicknames is the “pie plant” because it is commonly used in pies and cobblers this time of year! Rhubarb looks like celery, but it generally has red stalks and green leaves attached – the leaves are toxic, so be sure to discard them.
To complement the rhubarb I added strawberries, fresh ginger, and some lime juice to make my puree as the base of the mimosa. Just like a traditional mimosa, this one is brimming with vitamin C and antioxidants.
If you have friends who don’t drink alcohol, pregnant moms-to-be, or if you want to make this a kid-friendly mocktail, you can easily swap seltzer for the Prosecco.
Whether you’re having friends over for a casual weekend brunch or toasting mom for Mother’s Day, this light and refreshing Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosa is the perfect beverage to serve.
What are you waiting for? Go make yourself a drink!
Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosa Recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Mimosa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Chilled Prosecco
- 4 whole strawberries for garnish
- Combine the sugar, water, rhubarb, strawberries, and ginger in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until everything is cooked down and the mixture is viscous, but not to the point of a jelly. Remove mixture from heat and let cool.
- Transfer strawberry rhubarb mixture to a food processor and add lime juice. (If mixture seems too thick, add 1 tablespoon hot water.) Puree mixture until smooth. Strain the puree to remove seeds.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the strawberry rhubarb mixture to each of four champagne flutes and top with Prosecco (or seltzer). Garnish with a strawberry and serve.
What’s your favorite brunch cocktail?
Share with me in the comments section below!