Make this one bowl meal with quinoa, salmon, and summer fruits and vegetables for an easy lunch or dinner. Perfect for families short on time!
Making my way through the backlog of magazines I have piling up, I came across a Quinoa Salmon Salad recipe in the August issue of Parents Magazine. It especially caught my eye since it was under the monthly “5 Easy Meals” – what working parent doesn’t want an easy meal to prepare?! The recipe in itself sounded really good, but the photo of it was a little bland – monotone colors without anything really eye-catching.
Since we eat with our eyes as well as our mouths, I added a couple of colorful ingredients to make the final salad pop and be more flavorful. I also poached the salmon and chilled it to keep it on the light, summery side (and because my husband doesn’t like cooked salmon!), but you can easily use canned salmon in place of fresh, which makes it even more convenient and easy for a weeknight dinner or weekday lunch!
- 1 pound salmon fillet or canned salmon, drained
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup corn freshly cut off the cob
- 1 cup diced red or yellow pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Arugula, optional
- Diced cherry tomatoes, optional
- If using fresh salmon, in a large straight-sided skillet, bring about 6 cups water to a simmer over medium-high, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Add salmon (water should just cover fish), cover, and cook until opaque throughout, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness of fillet. With a wide, slotted spatula, transfer salmon to a plate, discard the skin, and set aside to cool. Once cool, use a fork to flake the salmon.
- While the salmon is cooking, cook quinoa according to package directions. When finished cooking, transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- Once the quinoa is cool, add the flaked or canned salmon, corn, peppers, scallions, peaches, and Kosher salt and toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and honey. Add dressing to the quinoa salad and toss to combine. Garnish with chives. Serve over a bed of arugula and cherry tomatoes if desired.
Salad can be served room temperature or chilled.
Do you have an easy weeknight meal you like to prepare?