Looking for a light, easy, and no-fuss dinner for those hot summer nights? This Poached Salmon Salad with Peaches fits the bill!
*Originally published July 2012; Updated July 2020* This page contains affiliate links. See below for full disclosure statement.
Every summer I try to come up with dinner ideas that are not only nutritious and delicious, but also easy and don’t require hours standing over a hot stove. Having a salad with protein on top is definitely one solution. It’s quick and easy to make and requires minimal, if any, cooking.
This Poached Salmon Salad with Peaches is a recipe I made almost 10 years ago after being inspired by a recipe in Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food Magazine, which unfortunately no longer exists. It was one of my favorite recipe magazines great for the easy, everyday recipes you would want to make for your family. My girls and I like salmon, but as I’ve mentioned in the past my husband doesn’t, so I passed over it. That was until I saw my hubby eating poached salmon at someone else’s house! Lo and behold, it turns out he’ll eat salmon if it’s cold (and since then he has also come to love my Mediterranean Sheet Pan Salmon)!
What is Poaching?
Poaching is the process of gently simmering food in liquid, usually stock or wine. (Occasionally you will find food poached in olive oil in restaurants, so it’s a good idea to always ask what the meat is poached in.) If you’ve never poached something before don’t let the idea of this cooking technique dissuade you – it’s much easier than it seems.
Make It Your Own
As usual, I made some changes to the original recipe: Instead of watercress I used arugula and I added pistachios and avocado to the salad.
My husband loved the recipe and was really surprised how filling it was. The next day his colleagues from work emailed me asking what I had made because my husband raved about it at work! Just goes to show that taste preferences can change, even for adults!
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 handful black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon filets, 1-inch thick (~ 4 filets)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch arugula
- 2 large peaches, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- In a large straight-sided skillet, combine 6 cups water, lemon slices, peppercorns, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to a simmer over medium-high, then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add salmon (water should just cover fish), cover, and cook until opaque throughout, 5 to 8 minutes. With a wide, slotted spatula, transfer salmon to a plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide arugula, peaches, basil, pistachios, and avocado among four plates, top with salmon, and drizzle with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 41g
Nutrition information was calculated by Nutritionix. It may not be 100% accurate.