Summer squash is still in season and if you’re like me and still getting a bunch from your local farmers market or CSA, you may be tired of grilling or sautéing it! Last week I decided to do something different with my yellow summer squash: make muffins! While I love to cook, I rarely bake, as you can see by the dearth of dessert recipes I have posted! But I decided to take a shot at it and the result was a delicious muffin!
Yellow Squash Carrot Muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 whole egg
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow squash, unpeeled and finely grated
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, zucchini, and carrots. Add the wet mixture to the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until about 2/3 full. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts (per muffin): 211 calories, 10 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 4 g protein, 23 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium
Stay tuned tomorrow for my tomato jam recipe, which was a delicious topping to these savory muffins!
P.S. Don’t forget to take the COAK pledge to be eligible for the giveaway valued at $230! Giveaway ends Friday September 24 at 12:00 pm.