Yesterday I told you about the different types of summer squash and their nutritional benefits. Whether or not you have made summer squash before, I wanted to share some different ways to cook with it and use it:
- Grill it. Toss sliced squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper and grill until cooked and browned on both sides. Below is a picture of some summer squash I grilled for dinner one night.
- Sauté it. Heat vegetable oil in a shallow pan over a medium-hot flame. Once the oil is hot, add sliced squash and let cook for a couple of minutes. Using a spatula, move the squash around the pan and continue cooking until cooked through and browned on both sides. Below is a picture of yellow squash, onions, green beans, and kale being sauteéd together.
- Add summer squash to a stew. I like to add zucchini to ratatouille with bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and chicken.
- Make zucchini bread or muffins.
- Make summer squash soup. Much lighter than winter squash soup, and if served chilled it is perfect for the hot days of summer.
How do you enjoy summer squash?