Here we go with another day of intense heat here in New York City. Temperatures are supposed to rise to almost 100 degrees today – and with the dry heat and lack of a cool breeze it may feel even hotter. It’s so important to keep yourself well hydrated in this kind of weather. To help you out, here are some tips and previously-posted recipes to make it through the day.
- Drink up – keep a filled, cold water bottle with you (on your desk, in your purse, car, etc) all day. Don’t like water? Add some lemon or lime slices to it for added flavor. You can drink other beverages besides water, just be sure to keep your portions in check. Liquid calories can add up very fast, especially if you’re very thirsty.
- Eat water-rich fruits and vegetables, such as peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, nectarines, and tomatoes.
- Monitor your urine. It may sound silly, but the color of your urine is a good indicator of your hydration status. Darker urine means you’re more dehydrated.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty or your pee is yellow to drink up.
Try these cool and hydrating recipes
- Strawberry, Lemon, and Basil Soda
- Watermelon Sorbet
- Watermelon Salsa
- Chilled Cucumber Soup
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Tomatoes and Basil
- Blueberry Basil Cooler
- Watermelon-Feta Tomato Skewers
- Cucumber Salad