By Megan Kian
With the warmer weather approaching I thought I would share a recipe for do-it-yourself homemade soda that I discovered in the most recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It can be hard to find a refreshing, yet low calorie drink other than water or diet soda. Next time you’re outside enjoying the warm weather, reach for this homemade strawberry, lemon, and basil soda instead.
Strawberry, Lemon, and Basil Soda
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 5 small strawberries cut into smaller pieces (reserve 1 slice of strawberry as a garnish)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ¾ cup soda water
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the soda water, in a tall glass.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, muddle the ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
- Add ice cubes and soda water and stir until chilled.
- Strain the soda into a glass filled with ice cubes.
- Add the strawberry (I also left in some basil leaves) for garnish. And there you have it, homemade soda!
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 56 calories, 15 g carbohydrates, 13 g sugar, 233 mg sodium
Have you ever made homemade soda?
Disclaimer: The Nutritioulicious staff was not paid to promote this recipe. All opinions are our own.