It’s that time again: the monthly Recipe Redux blog challenge! Last month’s theme was grilling (if you missed my Grilled Salmon Burgers with Cherry Chutney check it out), and in keeping with the spirit of summer, the Recipe Redux founders made this month’s theme Summer Beverages.
Back in April, Nutritioulicious intern Megan posted a refreshing recipe for Strawberry, Lemon, and Basil Soda to get us ready for summer, but I needed something new for this month’s challenge. Inspired by the blueberries I had in my refrigerator and the basil I received from my weekly CSA share, I decided to make a Blueberry Basil Cooler. I made it non-alcoholic, but feel free to add vodka or gin to it for happy hour!
Blueberry Basil Cooler
- 1/2 cup blueberries, plus more for garnish, rinsed and patted dry
- ~10 basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 teaspoons honey (or simple syrup)
- 12 ounces seltzer or soda water
- Ice cubes
- Muddle blueberries, basil, lime juice, and honey in the base of a shaker glass.
- Add seltzer or soda water and ice cubes and shake to combine.
- Fill two glasses with ice cubes and strain the drink evenly between the two glasses. Garnish with blueberries and a basil leaf. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the summer!
For more summer drinks, here are the other great recipes from Recipe Reduxers:
- Gretchen, Kumquat Ginger Ale
- Dr. Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Triple Cherry Chiller
- Carlene Helble, Carlene’s Figments Mint Berry Seltzer
- Kara Lydon, Peace, Love, and Food Blueberry Basil Lemonade Fizz
- Deanna Segrave-Daly, Teaspoon of Spice Cantaloupe Basil Aqua Fresca Fizz
- Jessica Fishman Levinson, Nutritioulicious Blueberry Basil Cooler
- Marie Spano, Performance Nutrition Post-Workout Power Smoothie
- Elizabeth Jarrard, Don’t White Sugar-Coat It Southern Blackberry Smash
- Emily Greenfield, The Nutriscientist Apple, pear and strawberry smoothie with Chia
- Kristen Bourque, Swanky Dietitian Fresh Fruit and Club Soda Cooler
- Regan Jones, The Professional Palate Berry-Lime Bubbly
- Kat Lynch, Eating the Week Sparkling melon fizz – nice & naughty
- Lisa, Healthful Sense Berry Refreshing Chia Seed Smoothie
- EA Stewart, The Spicy RD Gingery Peach Float
- Alysa Bajenaru, Inspired RD Blackberry Banana Swirl
- Ann Dunaway Teh, Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish Pregnancy Mocktails
- Yuri, Chef Pandita Green Tea Ginger Limeade with Chia Seeds
- Karman Meyer, Nutrition Adventures Orange-Mint Iced Green Tea
- Cherie Schetselaar, Grain Crazy Mango Strawberry Smoothie
- Emma Stirling, The Scoop on Nutrition Recipe Redux Tangelo-ade
- Alexandra Caspero, Delicious Knowledge Strawberry Splash Mojito
- Janel Ovrut Funk, Eat Well with Janel Blog Mango Melon Smoothie
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex, Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen Pint-Size Pina Colada
- Danielle Omar, Food Confidence RD Almond Iced-Coffee Latte
- Rebecca Scritchfield, MeFirst Banana Split Smoothie
- Carrie Miller, Nutrition Know How 12 Smoothie Recipes to Beat the Heat
- Diane Welland, Eat Well Eat Clean Watermelon Ginger-Lime Aqua Fresca