This post was written by Rosemary Squires
I recently tried a kale and quinoa salad my friend made and had to get the recipe! Not only is this salad delicious, it is also extremely nutritious! Kale is a leafy vegetable and a great source of vitamin K and the antioxidants vitamins A and C. Quinoa is an edible grain-like seed that is a nutritional superfood. It’s a complete protein and a great source of fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, and calcium. Also, quinoa is great for people with celiac disease because it is gluten free!
I added extra kale to my recipe because it’s so good for you and low in calories. This recipe also tastes great with diced tomatoes! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Kale and Quinoa Salad (adapted from AllRecipes.com)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Quinoa rinsed and strained
- 10 leaves kale cut into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup currants
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir quinoa into the boiling water, reduce heat to medium-low, place cover on the saucepan, and cook until water absorbs into the quinoa, about 12 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let rest covered for 5 minutes. Remove cover and allow quinoa to cool completely.
- Put kale in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, pepper, and salt together in a bowl until oil emulsifies into the mixture; drizzle over kale. Add cooled quinoa, pecans, currants, and feta cheese to the dressed kale and toss. Enjoy!!
What are your favorite ways to prepare kale and quinoa?