It’s finally here…the biggest award show of the season! The Oscars air tonight, Sunday March 7th, at 8 pm (5 pm Pacific) on ABC. Whether you love movies, fashion, or the latest goings on in Hollywood, you’ll be glued to the TV for the show. So why not have your own party to celebrate the year’s best in show? You still have a few hours left to prep, so if you decide to watch the event with friends, here are some tips to help you host an award winning party while still fitting into your most glamorous dress.
Stock the bar with non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks. Pop the bubbly and make a pomegranate champagne cocktail (mix champagne with pomegranate juice, seltzer, and a twist of lemon). This cocktail has almost half the calories of a cosmo, and with the added benefit of antioxidants from the pomegranate. You can also skip the champagne for a non-alcoholic variety. And be sure to hydrate with water or plain club soda in between drinks. You want to stay awake with a clear head for best picture, don’t you?!
Serve A-list hors d’oeurves.
- Add an extra dose of protein, calcium, and good-for-you omega-3 fatty acids with Salmon Cucumber Rounds. Top them with a bit of non-fat Greek yogurt instead of crème fraîche for more protein.
- Put out a veggie-filled crudité to keep it light. Fancy it up with some blanched broccoli and snow peas in addition to the traditional carrots, celery, and peppers.
- Everyone likes chips and dip, so why not make some healthier, fancier varieties. Frito-Lay snack chips like Tostitos are made with just 3 ingredients: corn, healthier oils such as corn and sunflower oils, and less salt than a slice of bread per serving!* They’re also a great vehicle for getting in more nutrients like protein and calcium. Dip the chips (or whole wheat baguette) in more something more interesting and classy than salsa:
- Baked Herb Goat Cheese Dip — Preheat oven to 350o. Crumble 8 ozs of reduced-fat goat cheese (or feta if you prefer) into an oven-safe ramekin and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of fresh herbs (chives, thyme, rosemary). Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until melted and bubbling around the edges. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
- Olive Tapenade —In a food processor, mix 1/2 pound pitted Kalamata or mixed olives, 1 small clove minced garlic, 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil. Process to combine, until the mixture becomes a coarse paste. Transfer to a bowl and serve. You can add capers, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, or Parmesan cheese to step it up a notch too!
- Big-Time Avocado Salsa (scroll down to 2nd to last recipe) made with Avocados from Mexico. Avocados contain the good mono and polyunsaturated fats and nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.
Don’t forget about dessert. What’s more decadent than chocolate. Make some chocolate-covered strawberries with antioxidant-rich dark chocolate, or make dark-chocolate brownies that you won’t regret the next time you get on the scale.
*Note: I am a media spokesperson for Frito Lay.