This post was written by Tiana Yom
Who is an RD?
When you need food and nutrition information based on fact or need to know how a healthy diet improves health and fights disease, rely on qualified professionals in the field — registered dietitians (RDs). A Registered Dietitian is a certified food and nutrition expert who has a degree in nutrition, dietetics, public health and/or a related field from an accredited academic institution. A RD uses his or her nutrition expertise to help individuals make positive healthy lifestyle changes.
Where can one find a RD?
While many people think RDs only work in clinical settings like hospitals, public health clinics, and nursing homes, they do so much more. Dietitians are the nutrition experts at schools, fitness centers, universities, and in the food and beverage industry.
RDs draw on their experiences to develop personalized nutrition plans for individuals of all ages. They are able to separate facts from fads and translate nutritional science into information you can use. And they do so much more. Here are
The Top 10 ways RDs can help you!
- You want to stave off diabetes. A registered dietitian can change your life by teaching you skills that will help you lose and keep off weight and keep diabetes at bay.
- Your community has high levels of obesity. A registered dietitian can work with public health, government, school and other local leaders to create wellness programs that promote healthful eating and physical activity for everyone.
- You are a marketing manager for a large food company and know consumers’ preference for good-tasting food that is healthy. A registered dietitian can make the connection and work with your food scientists to develop new products that will be successful in the marketplace.
- You want to improve your performance in sports. A registered dietitian can help you set goals to achieve results — whether you’re running a marathon, skiing or jogging with your dog.
- You have had gastric bypass surgery. Since your stomach can only manage small servings, it’s a challenge to get the right amount of nutrients in your body. A registered dietitian will work with you to develop an eating plan for your new needs.
- You realize you need to feed your family healthier foods but you do not cook. A registered dietitian who has special culinary skills can teach you how to cook in a simple, convenient way.
- Your teenager has issues with food and eating healthfully. A registered dietitian can assist with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and overweight issues.
- Your community wants more local foods to be available. A registered dietitian can lead efforts to make sure foods will not only be healthy but also will positively affect the local economy.
- You just had your first child, are concerned the baby is not eating enough and need help and confidence for breastfeeding. A registered dietitian can provide guidance and assurance that you and your infant are getting enough iron, vitamin D, fluoride and B vitamins.
- Your mother, who is increasing in age, wants to stay in her home. A registered dietitian leading a local congregate dining and home delivered meals program can obtain a nutrition screening to make sure this happens.
RDs are a vital source to healthy living. Here’s to all our fellow RDs out there! Cheers!
Thanks to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for the Top 10 Reasons Why Consulting with a Dietitian Can Benefit You.