With fall ending and the cold winter months approaching, I was wondering how I could use those few apple stragglers left from apple picking season. Instead of making an apple pie, I decided to make one of my favorite snacks — fruit leather! Fruit leather is a quick, easy snack and no matter what fruit you use it packs a lot of nutrients. Apples are a great source of fiber and vitamins A and C. Most fruit doesn’t require any added sugar when making fruit leather; however, if you have an especially tart fruit, a small amount of sugar may be needed. Fruit leather can be made in a dehydrator, but if you don’t have one of those handy an oven works great as well.
- About 7 medium sized apples (I used golden delicious, but you can use your favorite apple!)
- Preheat the oven to 140°F.
- Puree the apples in a food processor until they are the consistency of applesauce.
- Pour onto a pan or baking sheet lined with plastic wrap.
- Place in the oven or in a dehydrator. If using an oven leave in the oven for about 8-12 hours. I used a food dehydrator and it took me about 6 hours for my fruit leather to be done!
Have you ever made fruit leather?