5 Tips for Hosting a Cocktail Party Responsibly
‘Tis the season of holiday parties, which means lots of food and booze coming your way the next few weeks. In years past I’ve shared some Holiday Party Dos and Don’ts to help you get through this time of year without packing on the pounds, but one topic I haven’t discussed is drinking responsibly. What I’m referring to here is alcohol. We all know that if we drink too much we don’t feel so hot the next day – headaches and nausea make it hard to function at work, even if things are slower around the office! Last week I received a brochure from the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) with 5 Tips for Hosting Responsible Cocktail Parties, which I’d like to share with all of you. Whether you’re hosting a holiday party or are a guest, keep these tips in mind to have a safe and healthy holiday season!
5 Tips for Hosting Responsible Cocktail Parties
- Designate a bartender who can serve your guests and keep an eye on how much everyone is drinking. The Federal Dietary Guidelines define moderate drinking as no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women.
- Remember – alcohol is alcohol. It is important to understand that a standard serving of beer (12 ounces), wine (5 ounces) and spirits (a cocktail with 1.5 ounces of 80-proof spirits) each contains the same amount of alcohol.
- Make sure that you provide food to complement your cocktails. Consider food pairings to enhance the flavor of your chosen cocktails: fresh seafood and breads accentuate vodka cocktails, spiced and smoked meats and cheeses complement Bourbon and Scotch whiskies, and fruit enhances Rum and Tequila flavors.
- Make non-alcoholic beverages available for your guests. Create festive non-alcoholic punch for those guests who choose not to drink alcohol. And have calorie-free drinks like water, club soda, and diet soda available as well.
- Make sure your guests have a safe way home either through designated drivers or a taxi. Have local taxi service numbers available for your guests.
Looking for some cocktail inspiration? Try my Blueberry Basil Cooler or Megan’s Strawberry, Lemon, and Basil Soda.
Have fun at those parties and enjoy the holidays!
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
Great tips! I’ll apply them to my upcoming wine tasting.
Wonderful! Enjoy your wine tasting!
I took your advice, but I still got hammered. What should I do next time? Gotta go, just opened another bottle.
Have some nonalcoholic drinks in between! And remember you have children!!